Hawfinch in Garden!

Thursday 14th March 2013
Male Hawfinch! (deserves an exclamation mark, or two!)
One of the Dimore Hawfinches finally ventured into my garden this morning. At just after 7.30am I glanced out of my kitchen window, and did a double take. A male Hawfinch was perched just above the seed feeder and soon alighted on it and began feeding. It then moved on to the bird table, which it vigourously defended, seeing off the much smaller Greenfinches and Chaffinches. There was quite a hard frost this morning, maybe this made the cherry stones harder to find under the Wild Cherry trees around the playing field. Or maybe the food supply is drying up. Either way, it was very nice to see it it taking advantage of the facilities in my garden. I got a few photos before having to leave for work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose