Cleeve Hill

Saturday 7th July 2012
Musk Orchid, a scarce species nationally
I tried Wardens Wood first off this morning for Gropper, without success, but Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Tree Pipit, Yellowhammer and Linnet were all in fine song. This was just a stop-off on the way to the northern end of Cleeve Common looking for Musk Orchids, which I located above the wash-pool. I am grateful to Ian Ralphs for his directions as these small orchids with their yellow-green flowers are easy to overlook. Once I got my eye in I found a good number here and also near the top of the opposite spur. The only butterflies were two Ringlets and two Small Heaths.
A close-up of the tiny flowers - you have to get your nose close to take in the sweet scent
The flower spikes are only a few inches high
The stony slopes above the wash-pool
Another musk - the nodding flowers of Musk Thistle
The attractive flowers of Viper's Bugloss decorate the quarry car park

Comments

LojaWldlife said…
Hi Paul. This jogged some memories, I have not been to Cleeve hill for years and now that I live out in Spain Musk Orchid is one I do not see. We do get some others that are quite nice though. Nice site enjoyed reading the posts.

Mick Richardson.
Paul said…
Thanks for that Mick.

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose