Slimbridge Feast

Saturday 25th June 2011

A very memorable day at WWT Slimbridge this morning, with a host of excellent birds. It started with a search at Zeiss Hide for the adult female RED-NECKED PHALAROPE which I eventually caught up with on the Rushy Pen (above). A first-summer Mediterranean Gull and the pair of Ruddy Shelducks were at Zeiss Hide (as were the hybrid Ruddy-type Shelducks) and a Cuckoo was calling from the direction of South Finger. A smart breeding-plumaged Spotted Redshank from Robbie Garnett hide was my first of the year. The same, or another, Mediterranean Gull was later on South Lake (below).

Also on South lake was an adult breeding-plumaged SPOONBILL which I watched and photographed for some time (below). A great morning!





Video here: http://youtu.be/-yp1FsgOSdk

Comments

Unknown said…
Lovely spots! I was pretty gutted as the sightings of the Spoonbill and Red-Necked Phalarope started earlier on in the week, I went Thursday and typically there were no sightings. Friday, they were spotted again! Just my luck, eh?!
Paul said…
Yeah, thought I'd missed the Phal so glad it showed again when I could get there. Sorry you didn't see it - there's always the next one!

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose