Gulls

Sunday 21st November 2010
I am still trying to re-acclimatise to the cold following my recent holiday in hot and sunny Tenerife; I'll post a report from the holiday soon. Perhaps a spell in the Holden Tower would be just the thing to toughen me back up, I thought! With just a flask of hot tea to keep me going, a coupe of hours this morning at the trust produced a good selection of birds including a gull apparently matching the one photographed by James on 12th, believed to be a hybrid Herring and Lesser Black-backed. The photographs below show the bird compared to the standard 'local' specification Argenteus Herring.




The large size of the bird, especially the head and bill makes me wonder whether the Lesser B. liaison was with an Argentatus (Scandanavian) Herring.

Comments

Linda said…
Very lovely gull photos and interesting read... I love the ripples in the water and composition! Cheers, Linda

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose