Hawfinches Again

Sunday 8th March 2009

After a bit of an absence, two Hawfinches were back again at the rear of my garden, dropping down below the Cherry trees there (photos above and below). I saw them a couple of times between 7:50am and 8:40am, and then at 1:00pm I went out into the garden and could hear a male Hawfinch singing and the other bird calling nearby. The male then flew towards where I could hear the female. The birds were still around at 2:30pm when I had to go out, and Mark saw two a bit later from the Dimore playing field. In between I had been out to the forest with Andy and Mhairi where we came across a stunning male Hawfinch at the CSMA Whitemead Forest Park at Parkend. These were the best ever views I have had of Hawfinch, and although the camera was safely in the boot of the car, I didn't mind. The bird then flew into a conifer and proceeded to sing, while a second bird, presumably a female, could be heard calling. Yet another Hawfinch was heard at Parkend Church, but we had given up on Goshawk by then thanks to the heavy showers, and there's always next week. The Great Grey Shrike was also showing well at Boys Grave, where a male Siskin was the only other bird of note.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose