Magpie Inkcap

Monday 2nd January 2012
Magpie Inkcap Coprinus picaceus
I was doing mainly doing family things over the festive break, and hindered by seasonal germs this meant I haven't been able to get out birding for what seems like quite some time. Monday's outing involved a ride on the superb Severn Valley Railway stopping off at Bridgnorth in Shropshire. In Castle Gardens at Bridgnorth we came across a group of the fruiting bodies of Magpie Inkcap (above). I'd never seen them before, and very attractive they are with dark brown with cream scales. Oh I almost forgot, I did do some birding - on the return ride back to Kidderminster station I year-ticked Pheasant near Bewdley; also Elephant and Rhinocerous as the line passes the West Midland Safari Park! It was nice to see a male Blackcap turn up in the garden just after Xmas, it should stay around for a while. A high count of 20 Chaffinches in the garden on Monday gives hope of Brambling, so fingers crossed.
GWR 7812 Erlestoke Manor at Kidderminster Station

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose