Lesser Whitethroats and Sedge Warblers

Wednesday and Thursday 18-19th April 2007

As I continue to cycle to work, taking advantage of the fine weather, I am tending to add a few miles with detours along the canal. Yesterday morning I cycled down to Parkend Bridge, Moreton Valence and passed four Sedge Warblers and two Lesser Whitethroats before reaching the bridge. I headed back towards Gloucester by road via Epney and Longney and back through Hardwicke. Swallows are now everywhere and I saw several perched on wires and hawking over Rape fields. Today I took my camera with me, and got some photos of one of two Sedge Warblers south of The Pilot. A Nightingale was also heard singing from the opposite bank. I then headed back along the canal towards Gloucester and came back along the stretch between Sims Bridge and The Pilot on the way home. Altogether, Lesser Whitethroats were heard and/or seen at five distinct locations, mainly along the canal with one in Sims Lane. I also saw a Speckled Wood and several Orange-tip butterflies. As usual at the moment, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers and Blackcaps were in plentiful supply, but as yet no Common Whitethroats or Reed Warblers. (Photos of Lesser Whitehroat, Sedge Warbler and Speckled Wood: Paul Masters, all taken today, 19th).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose